Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Growing your own organic veggies...




I have been so excited about my little organic garden that I started recently! You actually don't have to have a large area to start your own. I am actually growing mine in pots in my back porch. I found out that the easiest to grow are: tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs such as basil. Imagine how much money you can actually save from growing your own vegetables! I found all these plants at my local famers market. I know from experience that organic produce can cost a lot more, but it tastes sooo much better.

Here are some simple tips that I have learned that help keep the bugs away naturally:

  • Plant marigolds or basil near your plats. This works great for tomatoes because basil will also flavor them. Sage, thyme, or rosemary also work great.


  • Plant garlic or mix dry granulated garlic into the soil around the plants. Good to keep japanese beatles away.


  • Plant Spearmint or Peppermint to keep ants away. It can be planted near your house to naturally deter ants from your house.


  • Bugs that eat other bugs are a fantastic organic gardening pest control. Ladybugs, praying mantises, and lacewings are all beneficial insects. You can buy them at the garden store and release them into your garden.

There are some awesome site that teach you how to grown your own organic garden. There is some here. There is also some great information from local backyarfarming

No comments:

Post a Comment